Monday, April 9, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

          One of the first things I decided to "DIY" to save money was laundry detergent. I have been using this recipe for about 6 months now. I found a few recipes online and a lot of them required making 5-10 gallons at a time, I couldn't imagine storing all that detergent for my family of 3. I wondered if I could make it a powdered detergent instead. I took just the main ingredients; Borax, Washing Soda and Soap and using the same proportions as the liquid detergent I created this powder detergent that is easy and cheap to make and has been working perfectly!

The Recipe:
     1 bar of soap (I have used two kinds - Dial Basics, and Palmolive Deodorizing both worked great, I believe any will work just avoid any moisturizing bar soap)
     1 cup Borax
     1 cup Washing Soda

48 Loads!

Instructions:
 1) Grate the bar of soap.


 2) Put the grated soap into a blender and grind into a fine powder.


 3) Mix the soap powder with 1 cup of the Borax and 1 cup of the Washing Soda.



 4) Store the detergent in an air tight container. Use 1 Tbs per load... REALLY that's all!


 5) Important tip... Make sure to add the detergent after the washer start's filling but before  the clothes go in.



 Happy Washing!


1 comment: