Thursday, April 12, 2012

Homemade Shampoo/ Conditioner

         I have a really lot of curly hair and I have developed this recipe to work for me. I spent about $20 for all the ingredients and it has been 6 months and I still have tons more. For me an annual savings of approximately $200! Also this shampoo/conditioner works better then any kind I have ever bought.  I used to use twice as much conditioner as shampoo but now I just use this!

The Recipe:


6 cups water
1 Bar of moisturizing soap (I use dove)
60 drops Essential oil (I use rose- any kind is fine, choose a scent you love, I bought mine at Whole Foods)
6 Tbs Aloe Vera gel
6 tsp Vitamin E Oil (I found mine in the vitamin aisle at Target)
6 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar

Makes about 1.5 Quarts

Directions:

 1) Grate the bar of soap.


 2)  Add 6 cups of water and put it on the stove on medium heat stirring continuously until the grated soap has dissolved completely (5-10 minutes).



 3) Remove from heat and let cool a little, then dd the rest of the ingredients. 


 4) Whisk the ingredients together.


 5) Store the shampoo/ conditioner in an air tight container, I use a recycled potato salad tub! The shampoo can come out watery so I use a spray bottle to apply it, shake before each use. Or keep it in a recycled shampoo bottle.


  6) All Done!

Using this or any natural shampoo is a different experience then regular shampoo. I recommend commenting to it for a week to start. This shampoo does not lather up and just feels a bit different, however it works (and smells) great!



2 comments:

  1. Is your hair still fairly easy to brush wet after a shower with this shampoo/conditioner? I think I will try it this weekend =)

    ReplyDelete